Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3(2023)
May 4, 2023
30 weeks left
Following on from their adventures in Thor: Love and Thunder and their escapades in the Holiday Special, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 sees the intergalactic mavericks reunite again for the culmination of their collective journey. The Guardians are at full strength for the physical and emotional challenges ahead. With new villains always on the horizon and the long-expected Marvel favourite Adam Warlock making his full feature debut, the Guardians of the Galaxy have their work cut out for them in this third installment as they reach for the conclusion to their epic stories.
What to know
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 is an upcoming superhero sci-fi adventure film produced by Marvel Studios and distributed by Walt Disney. It is the 32nd film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) and the fourth dedicated outing for the Guardians franchise. Vol. 3 also follows on from the events of Thor: Love and Thunder, in which the Guardians of the Galaxy make an appearance. James Gunn was briefly let go from the project before being reinstated after an upswell of support from cast of the film.
Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Dave Bautista, Vin Diesel, Bradley Cooper, Karen Gillan, Pom Klementieff, Sean Gunn, Sylvester Stallone all reprise their roles from previous films. Will Poulter joins the cast as Adam Warlock and Chukwudi Iwuji has been confirmed to play an unnamed powerful and complex character. Henry Braham returns as the cinematographer bringing trademark colour and style to the series with a script also written by James Gunn inspired by the Marvel comics.
Where to stream
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 is set for a theatrical release on 5 May 2023, and likely to make it to Disney+ in the months after its release in cinemas. The rest of the Guardians of the Galaxy films in the franchise and their adventures in other Marvel titles are also available to be streamed on Disney+.
Production: Timeline, news & updates
- April 12, 2016:President of Marvel Studios Kevin Feige confirmed that a third Guardians of the Galaxy film was part of the larger plan of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.(Source: Screen Crush)
- April 17, 2017:After some back and forth between studio and director, James Gunn confirmed that he would return to write and direct Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, citing his love for characters as his main motivation. Gunn also confirmed that Vol. 3 would conclude this version of the Guardians of the Galaxy later confirming that the trilogy would work as a single story.(Source: Hollywood Reporter)
- April 20, 2017:James Gunn confirmed that Adam Warlock had been in his original treatment for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, despite only making an appearance in the film's post-credits scene. Gunn explains that the character will be returning for a major role in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3.(Source: SlashFilm)
- June 25 2018:Marvel Studios director Kevin Feige confirmed that the first draft of the script had been turned in and that pre-production was set to begin.(Source: Collider)
- July 20, 2018:Writer and director James Gunn was fired from the project after controversial tweets of his were resurfaced online. After a lengthy understanding apology from Gunn, he and Marvel Studios parted ways with the future of the Guardians of the Galaxy franchise up in the air. (Source: Hollywood Reporter)
- July 30, 2018:The cast of the Guardians of the Galaxy films including Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana and Karen Gillan all spoke out in a public statement of support for James Gunn and asked that the studio rehire him to direct the third instalment in the Guardians franchise. (Source: Variety)
- March 19, 2019:After months of standing firm and sounding out other directors to replace James Gunn, Disney decided to reinstate him for the project due to the way that he handled his public apology and the swell of support from the cast many of whom were unsure of their involvement in the future of the franchise without the director signed on.(Source: Deadline)
- April 30, 2019:The five main stars from the franchise – Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Dave Bautista, Bradley Cooper and Vin Diesel – all sign on to return for the third film.(Source: Hollywood Reporter)
- November 14, 2020:James Gunn confirms that the final version of the script is finished.(Source: ComicBook)
- December 23 2020:Disney confirm that James Gunn will be writing and directing Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special that will fill the long gap between Vol. 2 and Vol. 3 in the franchise. The Holiday Special would be shot during the production of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3.(Source: Variety)
- May 3, 2021:The release date for the film was confirmed to be May 5, 2023. (Source: Hollywood Reporter)
- May 12 2021:Gunn confirmed that Guardians Vol. 3 would take place after Thor: Love and Thunder which would also include cameos from some characters from the Guardians series.(Source: ScreenRant)
- November 8 2021:Filming for Guardians Vol. 3 began with a set photo that also included the new casting of Wil Poulter as Adam Warlock and Chukwudi Iwuji as a still unconfirmed character.(Source: SlashFilm)
- July 23, 2022:At San Diego Comic Con, Marvel screened the first trailer for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3. At the panel for the film actor Chukwudi Iwuji turned up in full costume confirming his role as the villain the High Evolutionary. (Source: SlashFilm)
- August 16, 2022:Zoe Saldana teased an image of her character Gamora in full Ravager get-up. (Source: ScreenRant)
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 streaming: where to watch online?
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 will be available to stream from May 4, 2023. The streaming service that will include Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 in its media library is still unknown, but you can stay updated by tracking this movie on JustWatch.