New York City in the 1970s stinks. No one has picked up the trash in days. There’s disillusionment and frustration everywhere, but in the muck and dirt, there is also opportunity. While regular workers suffer, the Mafia are growing in power and in confidence. Enter Winston; a young opportunist ready to make his mark on the expanding underworld of the city. With his associates, Winston acquires the iconic property at the center of this story. The Continental is a safe house set up for assassins around the world. Exactly how it came to be is a mystery tied up with the past of the enigmatic hotel manager Winston.
What to know
The Continental is an upcoming limited series produced by Lionsgate Television and set to debut on the streaming platform Peacock. The show is set within the John Wick universe but takes place before the first movie, making it a prequel. The Continental is made up of three 90-minute episodes two of which are directed by Albert Hughes, known for Menace II Society and The Book of Eli. Keeping continuity with the universe set out in the movies, the original creative team return as producers. That includes Keanu Reeves, Chad Stahelski, and Derek Kolstad all of whom have had a variety of roles in getting the project off the ground.
The lead character in The Continental is a younger Winston than in the movies. He is played by Colin Woodell who takes over the role from Ian McShane. Opposite Woodell is veteran actor Mel Gibson playing Cormac who is a new entry into the franchise. In the John Wick universe, where there is blood and a body to clean up, there is only one person to turn to: Uncle Charlie. Peter Greene takes on the role of a young Uncle Charlie getting his start alongside Winston. Keeping the tone ominous is ‘The Adjudicator’ played by Katie McGrath who joins an expanded cast that includes Jessica Allain, Jeremy Bobb, Ayomide Adegun, and Nhung Kate.
Where to stream
The Continental is set for release in 2023 and will be available to stream on Peacock. The first three films of the John Wick franchise can already be enjoyed on Peacock.
Production: Timeline, news & updates
- January 31, 2017: Director and screenwriter duo Chad Stahelski and Derek Kolstad confirm that they are planning a TV spinoff from the John Wick franchise that they created. Lionsgate was confirmed to be interested. (Source: SlashFilm)
- June 14, 2017: The show is given the title “The Continental”. It is confirmed to be produced by and potentially even starring Keanu Reeves. Chris Collins, whose previous writing credits include The Wire and Sons of Anarchy is signed on as showrunner. A brief synopsis confirms that the series will follow happenings at The Continental hotel, a safe house for assassins across the world. (Source: IndieWire)
- January 12, 2018: Starz is confirmed to be the network home of the television series. Chad Stahelski is set to direct the first episode of the new series providing some continuity between the movies and the television show. Other franchise veterans, Derek Kolstad, and David Leitch both act as producers of The Continental alongside Stahleski and Keanu Reeves. (Source: Collider)
- May 16, 2020: In an interview with Fandom, director Chad Stahelski confirmed some plot details about the television show. He confirmed that The Continental will offer some of the origin stories of the characters best-known for their role in the John Wick films. He also noted that the series would look at events from different perspectives, showing the breadth of the world created by the writers. (Source: Collider)
- April 23, 2021: The TV chairman of Lionsgate, Kevin Biggs, made some key announcements about The Continental. The show is set to occur 40 years before the first John Wick movie and it will detail the story of a young Winston, the hotel manager.(Source: Collider)
- July 16, 2021: The Continental is revealed to be a three-night event series. Two of the episodes are set to be directed by action director Albert Hughes. Chad Stahleski was originally set to direct one episode but has stepped back into the role of executive producer instead. (Source: The Hollywood Reporter)
- October 18, 2021: Academy Award winner Mel Gibson is confirmed to be playing a lead character in the series named Cormac. Further details confirm that the show is set in New York City in 1975. (Source: Collider)
- October 19, 2021: Colin Woodell is cast alongside Mel Gibson in the other lead role as the young Winston Scott. Woodell will be taking on the iconic character made famous by Ian McShane in the John Wick movies. The limited series will chart his rise to power. (Source: Collider)
- November 10, 2021: News confirms the casting of Ayomide Adegun as a young Charon, Jeremy Bobb as Mayhew, and Peter Greene as Uncle Charlie. (Source: The Hollywood Reporter)
- August 15, 2022: The Continental, which was originally set to premiere on Starz is moved to streaming service Peacock, where it has a 2023 release date. (Source: Collider)
The Continental - watch online: streaming, buy or rent
The Continental will be available to stream on Starz. The release date is yet to be announced, but you can stay updated by tracking this TV show on JustWatch.