After misusing his god-like powers, Black Adam was sentenced to a brutal 5,000 years of imprisonment – but now he is finally free. Upon his release, Adam vows that no one will take away his liberty again. Driven by his own brand of justice and unbelievable strength, the almighty anti-hero sets out to defeat his adversaries. This leads to an encounter with the Justice Society, a superhero team that includes Hawkman, Dr. Fate, Atom Smasher and Cyclone.
What to know
Black Adam is a superhero film produced by New Line Cinema and DC Films. The movie is directed by Jaume Collet-Serra and written by Adam Sztykiel. Jaume Collet-Serra is a Spanish-American filmmaker who previously directed 2009's Orphan and, more recently, 2021's Jungle Cruise.
Black Adam stars Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson in the titular role of Black Adam, a man from the ancient Kahndaq who is bestowed with godly powers. Dwayne Johnson, who began his career as a professional wrestler in the WWE, had been in talks with DC Comics to portray the character since the mid-2000s. The decision behind his casting was finally announced in 2014. This marks the second time Dwayne Johnson works with director Jaume Collet-Serra as the two previously collaborated in Jungle Cruise. In Black Adam, Johnson is joined by Noah Centineo as Atom Smasher, Aldis Hodge as Hawkman, Sarah Shahi as Adrianna Tomaz and Quintessa Swindell as Cyclone.
Pierce Brosnan plays Kent Nelson a.k.a. Doctor Fate. The doctor is the son of an archeologist and sorcerer who owns the Helmet of Fate. Viola Davis returns to the DCEU as Amanda Waller. Black Adam was released in cinemas on October 21, 2022.
Production: Timeline, news & updates
Plans to develop a movie featuring Black Adam had been in progress since the early 2000s. This included development on a Captain Marvel movie, with Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson in the running to play either Black Adam or Captain Marvel. Development was put on hold in 2009 and started again once Warner Bros planned a shared universe – the DC Extended Universe (DCEU).
- September 3, 2014: Following news that Warner Bros would create a shared universe featuring DC characters, The Rock confirms that he is still attached to the untitled Captain Marvel/Black Adam project. He confirms that he will be playing Black Adam. (Source: Variety)
- January 19, 2017: Talks between Dwayne Johnson and President and CCO of DC Entertainment Geoff Johns leads to a decision to create separate movies for Black Adam and Captain Marvel (a.k.a. Shazam!). The duo are then expected to eventually meet on-screen in future DCEU movies. (Source: HollywoodReporter)
- July 22, 2017: Geoff Johns confirms that Dwayne Johnson will not appear in Shazam! (Source: Yahoo!)
- June 7, 2019: After working with Dwayne Johnson on Disney’s Jungle Cruise, Jaume Collet-Serra enters talks to direct the movie. (Source: Variety)
- July 16, 2020: Following complications due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Black Adam is set to start shooting early 2021. (Source: Deadline)
- August 23, 2020: The first promotional video for Black Adam is released at DC Fandome. It shows an animation narrated by Dwayne Johnson as the titular character. After 5000 years of imprisonment, Black Adam explains his origin story and vows to become unstoppable. (Source: YouTube)
- June 7, 2022: The first poster for the film is released with the tagline "The world needed a hero. It got Black Adam." (Source: Collider)
- July 16, 2021: Black Adam wrapped filming with Dwayne Johnson posting a heartwarming thank you to crew and cast.(Source: Collider)
- June 8, 2022: The first trailer for Black Adam is released online. The scope of Black Adam's powers are on display in the clip, showing the character catching a rocket with his hand and downing a plane with the stroke of a hand. (Source: YouTube)
- July 24, 2022: An official full trailer for the film is released at San Diego Comic-Con. It confirms the return of Viola Davis as Amanda Waller and shows a selection of new characters from the Justice Society including Atom Smasher, Doctor Fate, Cyclone and Hawkman.(Source: IGN)
- August 11, 2022: New still images from the film are released in black and white. They show scenes from the film and close-ups of new characters in a stylistic and stark monochrome palette. (Source: Vanity Fair)
- August 16, 2022: A set of new images are released showing the costumes of Atom Smasher and Cyclone. (Source: ScreenRant)
- August 28, 2022: Doctor Fate is treated to his own poster in an upcoming promotional image for the film. It shows the characters sleek gold and blue costume. (Source: ScreenRant)
- September 7, 2022: A new poster for the movie is released. Black Adam looms over the DC Universe with a determined look on his face. (Source: Collider)
- September 8, 2022: A second trailer for the movie is released. Ini this new clip, viewers learn that Amanda Waller is back - and she's looking to bring Black Adam to justice. (Source: Collider)
- September 22, 2022: Over the course of three days, a new poster, a new TV spot and a new short trailer are released. Together, they tease the anti-hero nature of Dwayne Johnson's character and offer a glimpse into the conflict he will have with other heroes trying to stop him. The much-anticipated Doctor Fate, played by Pierce Brosnan is also seen. (Source: ScreenRant)
- October 21, 2022: Black Adam was released in cinemas. (Source: ScreenRant)
Videos: Trailers, Teasers, Featurettes
Black Adam streaming: where to watch online?
You can buy "Black Adam" on Apple iTunes, Amazon Video, Google Play Movies, YouTube, Vudu, Microsoft Store, Redbox, DIRECTV, AMC on Demand as download or rent it on Apple iTunes, Amazon Video, Google Play Movies, YouTube, Vudu, Microsoft Store, Redbox, DIRECTV, AMC on Demand, Spectrum On Demand online.