The School for Good and Evil(2022)
October 21, 2022
10 weeks left
In the town of Gavaldon every four years the mysterious and enigmatic School Master chooses two children to take back to The School for Good and Evil. Sophie and Agatha are best friends and yet different in most every way imaginable. Sophie loves the colour pink and dreams of being a princess who does good deeds and is loved by the people. For Sophie, The School for Good is the place she feels that she belongs to. Agatha lives in a cemetery with her mischievous cat. She wears black dresses and has the dislike of most everyone in the town. While she doesn’t care about going to any school, it couldn’t be clearer that The School for Evil would be best suited to her. When the two are finally taken by the School Master the unthinkable occurs; Agatha is sent to the School for Good and Sophie to the School for Evil. The two best friends are forced to face this challenge and deal with the greatest test of their friendship so far.
What to know
The School for Good and Evil is an upcoming fantasy film directed for Netflix by Paul Feig. The film is based off of the novel of the same name by writer Soman Chainani. The film is unlikely to be a direct adaptation of the book but rather using the spirit and ideas of the text to make the movie. Cast members of the film were asked to explore their favourite and most important moments from the novel and while Chainani was consulted, he wasn’t a writer on the film. Instead Vanessa Taylor (Hillbilly Elegy, The Shape of Water) and David Magee (The Life of Pi, Mary Poppins Returns) are the screenwriters with director Paul Feig also contributing to the writers room. Sophia Anne Caruso takes on the role of Sophie while Sofia Wylie plays opposite her as Agatha. The impressive cast also holds space for the likes of Laurence Fishburne as the School Master, Michelle Yeoh as Professor Emma Anemone, Olivia Pope as Professor Clarissa Dovey and Charlize Theron as Lady Lesso. Adding to the star-studded cast is Academy Award-winner Cate Blanchett who narrates the happenings at The School for Good and Evil.
Where to stream
The School for Good and Evil is set to be released on 21st October, 2022. The series will be streaming on Netflix.
Production: Timeline, news & updates
- May 29, 2013: The film rights for the School for Good and Evil was acquired by Universal in a seven-figure deal. (Source: Collider)
- May 28, 2020: After years of production that did not lead anywhere, Netflix acquired the film rights and confirmed Paul Feig to direct with David Magee on board to help pen the script.(Source: ScreenRant)
- March 3, 2021:Laurence Fishburne and Michelle Yeoh are confirmed to have joined the cast.(Source: Collider)
- May 18, 2021:First images of the show are released showing Charlize Theron as Lady Lesso and Kerry Washington as Professor Dovey.(Source: Digital Spy)
- June 9, 2021:Netflix release a 7-second teaser showing the Coven played by Demi Isaac Oviawe, Kaitlyn Akinpelumi and Theodora Parks in character. (Source: Twitter)
- JFebruary 3, 2022: The first footage of the film is released as part of a Netflix 2022 preview.(Source: ScreenRant)
- June 7, 2022: A teaser trailer for the film is released confirming a Fall 2022 release date and offering a first glimpse at the films main characters. (Source: YouTube)
- June 23, 2022: Academy Award-winning actress Cate Blanchett joins the cast as the narrator. (Source: YouTube)
The School for Good and Evil streaming: where to watch online?
The School for Good and Evil will be available to stream on Netflix from October 21, 2022.