S1 E8 - Children of the Wyrm
S1 E7 - Beyond the Shattered Sea
S1 E6 - Prisoners of Skellin
When the balance of good and evil is upset, something or some one must put it right. The Nelwyn sorcerer Willow Ufgood is well-versed in magic and myth having ventured on many quests. When approached by a young princess for help to find her kidnapped brother, Willow and Kit join with a crew of unlikely heroes to search through the unknown for what has been lost. With the help of an unassuming kitchen maid, Kits best friend and moral compass and a redeemed thief who is offered his freedom in exchange for assistance, the group must learn to work together to win the day and uncover the mystery of the kidnapped prince.
What to know
Willow is a dark fantasy adventure television series based on the characters and world of the 1988 film of the same name. This eight-part television event acts as a sequel to the original film by George Lucas and Ron Howard. Produced by Lucasfilm, the TV-series is a Disney+ property with Ron Howard returning as Executive Producer on the project. Stephen Woolfenden directs the opening two episodes of the season having previously worked in both the Harry Potter and Doctor Who franchises. Iconic and well-loved Warwick Davis returns to reprise his role as Willow Ufgood as Joanne Whalley also returns as Sorsha. Ruby Cruz, Ellie Bamber, Erin Kellyman, Tony Revolori, Amer Chadha-Patel, Dempsey Bryk, Rosabell Laurenti Sellers, Talisa Garcia and Ralph Ineson all join the cast and the Willow franchise for the first time. Willow was released on Disney+ on November 30, 2022.
Production: Timeline, news & updates
- May 1, 2019:Ron Howard, director of the original 1988 film Willow, revealed that he had been approach with the idea of rebooting the film as a TV series and confirmed that he was interested in the idea. (Source: Deadline)
- October 20, 2020:The television series Willow was green-lit by Disney+ and director Jon M. Chu (Crazy Rich Asians) signed on to direct the pilot and executive produce. (Source: Variety)
- November 30, 2020:The trio of Ellie Bamber, Cailee Spaeny and Erin Kellyman joined the Willow cast with Warwick Davis also confirmed to be reprising the titular role. Bamber was confirmed as Dove, the unassuming kitchen maid, Spaeny as the princess on a mission to rescue her kidnapped brother and Kellyman as Jade, the knight-in-taining, best friend and moral compass. (Source: Variety)
- January 29, 2021:Jonathan Entwhistle was lined up to replace Jon M. Chu who stepped away from his duties to Willow due to scheduling problems. (Source: Hollywood Reporter)
- March 12, 2021:Cailee Spaeny departed the project and her character Kit, the princess was recast. Ruby Cruz took on the female co-lead alongside newly cast Tony Revolori whose character has not been announced. (Source: Deadline)
- July, 2021:After more scheduling problems, Jonathan Entwhistle left the project and Stephen Woolfenden stepped in to direct the first two episodes with filming already having begun in Wales. (Source: Deadline)
- May 26, 2022:The first teaser trailer for the film was released teasing the costume and set of the enchanted land of the Willow universe. Glimpses of new and old characters alongside a release date of November 30, 2020 were also revealed by the trailer. (Source: The Hollywood Reporter)
- May 27, 2022:Original Willow actor Val Kilmer who played the loveable rogue Madmartigan was unable to join the cast fully due to his recovery from cancer. It was however revealed that he and his character would still be a major part of the show in some way. (Source: The Hollywood Reporter)
- September 9, 2022: The concept art for the series is released. New fantasy locations and impressive costumes are revealed. (Source: Screen Rant)
- September 10, 2022: Christian Slater joins the cast of Willow as Madmartigan. A teaser trailer for the series is released and it promises an epic show full of magical characters. (Source: Variety)
- September 19, 2022: Newly released images of the series reveal the character Queen Sorsha played by Joanne Whalley. (Source: ScreenRant)
- November 30, 2022: Willow was released on Disney+.(Source: Disney+)
Videos: Trailers, Teasers, Featurettes
Willow - watch online: streaming, buy or rent
Currently you are able to watch "Willow" streaming on Disney Plus.