Desperate to find her late father, Nema must travel to lands of untold mystery if she is to do the unthinkable – breakthrough into the world of dreams and nightmares. To get there she’ll need a map and a guide. Flip is half-human and half-beast with a carnivalesque style and a pair of curled horns protruding from his shaggy mane. He might seem gruff and scary at first, but underneath, Nema’s eccentric escort is a soft soul. The two must duck nightmares and ride dreams in the glimmering and ghostly world of Slumberland if they are to give Nema one last, final goodbye.
What to know
Slumberland is an upcoming fantasy adventure film produced by Netflix and Chernin Entertainment. The movie is an adaptation of the much-loved comic strip ‘Little Nemo in Slumberland’ originally created by Winsor McCay. This take on the source material is directed by Francis Lawrence, who is best known for his work in the Hunger Games franchise. David Guion and Michael Handelman are the screenwriting duo behind the script. The tone of the film will be set by Captain Marvel composer Pinar Toprak who will be scoring the magical journey.
Known mostly for his overtly masculine roles, Slumberland offers a chance for Jason Momoa to show off his whacky and eccentric side. The actor portrays half-human, half-beast Flip who is the guide for young Nema. Momoa had a breakout performance in Game of Thrones where he was much-loved by fans and has gone on to star as Aquaman, in the eponymous DC movie. Marlow Barkley is set for the lead role of a gender-swapped Nemo, known in this movie as Nema. Kyle Chandler and Chris O’Dowd are the supporting cast members who both have an impressive list of on-screen achievements. The pair round out a small cast but there will doubtless be more mythical creatures and incredible landscapes in this feast for the eyes.
Where to stream
Slumberland is set to be released on the streaming platform Netflix. It will premiere on November 18, 2022.
Production: Timeline, news & updates
- March 3, 2020: Francis Lawrence is confirmed to be directing an adaptation of Little Nemo in Slumberland for Netflix and Chernin Entertainment. Jason Momoa is confirmed to be featured in a lead role. (Source: Discussing Film)
- October 12, 2020: Kyle Chandler joins the cast of the movie now titled Slumberland. Comic actor Chris O’Dowd and new face Marlow Barkley are also confirmed in the cast. (Source: Deadline)
- April 6, 2021: A first look at the movie shows Jason Momoa’s character Flip with horns in an eccentric costume. Marlow Barkley taking on the lead role ‘Nema’ is also seen in the first images confirming the gender swap of this character from the original comics. (Source: Screen Rant)
- August 24, 2022: The first trailer for the magical adventure movie is released. It teases a host of exciting locations for the film's central pairing to explore and briefly introduces the main characters. (Source: YouTube)
- September 10, 2022: November 18th, 2022 is the confirmed release date for the film. (Source: Collider)
- September 24, 2022: Netflix releases a clip of Slumberland at their TUDUM event. The clip features Jason Mamoa's character warning Nema that everything is about to change as they embark on this new adventure.(Source: Collider)
- October 6, 2022: A new trailer for Slumberland is released showing Jason Momoa in full force as the otherworldly guide for young Nemo in her travels through Slumberland.(Source: Collider)
Videos: Trailers, Teasers, Featurettes
Slumberland streaming: where to watch online?
Currently you are able to watch "Slumberland" streaming on Netflix, Netflix basic with Ads.