Aspiring filmmaker Sammy is a young boy growing and learning about the trials of life in post-World War II Arizona. When his tight-knit family is hit hard by his parents' divorce, Sammy must learn the importance of believing in his dreams and fighting to make them a reality.
What to know
The Fabelmans is an upcoming coming-of-age drama film directed and co-written by Steven Spielberg, and produced by Amblin Entertainment. The movie is loosely based on Spielberg’s own adolescence growing up as an aspiring filmmaker in post-World War II Arizona.
Steven Spielberg is among the most beloved and decorated filmmakers in Hollywood. The director is known for his work on iconic blockbusters such as E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, Jurassic Park, and Jaws. Tony Kushner co-wrote the script with Spielberg. The duo previously collaborated on Munich, Lincoln and West Side Story. The Fabelmans also marks the 29th collaboration between Spielberg and acclaimed composer John Williams.
The movie charts Sammy's life from the age of seven to eighteen. Mateo Zoryna Francis-Deford and Gabriel LaBelle play the boy during different time periods. They are joined by five-time Academy Award nominee Michelle Williams and Paul Dano as Sammy’s parents. Filmmaking icon, David Lynch also takes up a role in the film also, marking the first collaboration between the two directors.
Where can I stream The Fabelmans?
The Fabelmans will be released in theaters in New York and Los Angeles on November 11th, 2022. After this limited release the movie will have a wider release on November 23rd. The movie does not have an official streaming release date yet.
Production: Timeline, news & updates
- March 9, 2021: It’s announced that Steven Spielberg will direct and write an untitled project based on his own childhood. Michelle Williams is rumored to be playing a role inspired by the filmmaker’s mother. (Source: Deadline)
- March 22, 2021: Seth Rogen joins the cast in the role of Spielberg’s favorite uncle. (Source: Deadline)
- April 8, 2021: Paul Dano joins the cast. (Source: Deadline)
- May 26, 2021: Steven Spielberg signs new actor Gabriel LaBelle to star in the film. (Source: Deadline)
- March 20, 2020: In an interview, cinematographer Janusz Kamiński states that the film would chronicle Spielberg's life from age seven to eighteen and deal with his family and passion for filmmaking. The movie will touch upon the themes of young love, divorce, and the first formative relationships of the young man’s life.(Source: Discussing Film)
- February 4, 2022:Acclaimed cult filmmaker, David Lynch, joined the cast of the film in an undisclosed role. (Source: Collider)
- July 6, 2020: In a set of behind-the-scenes images from the production, composer John Williams is seen working on the score. It will be the final score that the legendary musician produces before he retires. (Source: Collider)
- September 7, 2022: A new poster for The Fabelmans is released. It's an image of a man walking on a stage set with a picture of a younger version of himself holding a camera next to a woman. (Source: Collider)
- September 8, 2022: The first trailer for The Fabelmans is released. The clip is a heartwarming one that depicts the close-knit family life of the Fabelmans, and protagonist Sammy's deep love of filmmaking. (Source: Deadline)
- September 20, 2022: The movie is set to head to AFI Fest to premiere in the United States from November 2-6, 2022. (Source: The Playlist)
Videos: Trailers, Teasers, Featurettes
The Fabelmans streaming: where to watch online?
We try to add new providers constantly but we couldn't find an offer for "The Fabelmans" online. Please come back again soon to check if there's something new.