There’s a shift happening in Hollywood. For some, that means opportunity and a chance at a whole new type of stardom. For others, holding onto the past can only last so long. As silent movies give way to the new genre of the talkie, suddenly everything is changing. With this new technology comes new expectations of actors and producers alike. Between the glitz and glamour of the party lifestyle and the larger-than-life sets of the movies, the roaring twenties are a time of great change for a fading silent film star and an icon of the new era.
What to know
Babylon is an upcoming period drama movie written and directed by Academy Award-winner Damien Chazelle. Chazelle is the youngest person to win the Best Director award at the Oscars. Babylon is an original script by Chazelle, who teams up once again with cinematographer Linus Sandgren for the movie. Justin Hurwitz, who has scored and composed original music for each of Chazelle’s films, is also responsible for scoring Babylon.
The movie stars modern-day Hollywood icons Brad Pitt and Margot Robbie. Babylon’s executive producer Tobey Maguire has a supporting role in the film, alongside Olivia Wilde, Samara Weaving, Li Jung Li, Max Minghella, Lukas Haas, Eric Roberts, Spike Jonze, Jeff Garlin and Flea.
Where to stream
Babylon is set for a wide release on December 23, 2023. While no streaming partner has been confirmed yet, it is likely that the film will be held back from streaming sites for a long theatrical release. It will likely be released on to Paramount+ given that Paramount Pictures will be handling its distribution but there has yet to be confirmation.
Production: Timeline, news & updates
- July 15, 2019: Various studios were confirmed to be competing to option the new Damien Chazelle script, Babylon, which had Emma Stone and Brad Pitt tentatively attached. (Source: Deadline)
- November 11, 2019: Paramount confirmed that they had acquired international rights of distribution for Babylon and gave it a winter 2021 release date suggesting its strong Oscar potential.(Source: Deadline)
- December 2, 2020: Emma Stone who had been previously cast as the first Hollywood ‘It’ girl Clara Bow, exited the project with Margot Robbie in talks to replace her opposite Brad Pitt. Pitt is set to portray a character loosely-based on real life figure John Gilbert and other casting news also confirms that Li Jun Li is set to play movie legend Anna May Wong. (Source: Hollywood Reporter)
- March 16 2021: Margot Robbie is confirmed to be taking on the role vacated by Emma Stone as relative newcomer Diego Calva joins rising stars Jovan Adepo and Li Jun Li in the supporting cast of Babylon. Calva’s role was described as ‘critical’, showing the story of a Mexican man rising up the Hollywood hierarchy from his beginnings as an assistant. (Source: Hollywood Reporter)
- June 2, 2021: The expanded cast of Babylon is announced with roles for Max Minghella, Flea, Samara Weaving, Katherine Waterston, Eric roberts amongst others. Tobey Maguire was confirmed as playing a supporting role as well as being on board as Executive Producer for the now R-rated movie from Paramount. (Source: Deadline)
- June 24, 2021: The already stacked cast added a little extra stardust with roles for Olivia Wilde, Spike Jonze and Phoebe Tonkin as the 1920s Hollywood drama nears the start of filming. (Source: Hollywood Reporter)
- October 21, 2021: Bryan Mendoza of the Sound Department on the film confirmed in a tweet that filming had wrapped.(Source: Twitter)
- September 7, 2022: New images from the movie showcase Margot Robbie and Brad Pitt. (Source: Deadline) September 13, 2022: Alongside the first official trailer for the film, a selection of character posters are released. The visuals combine to offer the first real look at the style of the film which plays on the drama and slander of the early Hollywood era.(Source: Deadline) October 18, 2022: The release date for the movie is brought forward to December 23, 2022. (Source: Collider)
Videos: Trailers, Teasers, Featurettes
Babylon streaming: where to watch online?
We try to add new providers constantly but we couldn't find an offer for "Babylon" online. Please come back again soon to check if there's something new.