Avatar: The Last Airbender
Only the avatar can wield the power of all four elements. However, this power comes with the responsibility to maintain the world’s balance. Avatar Aang has been frozen for 100 years and his unexpected disappearance has had severe consequences. The fire nation has spread their empire across the globe. Now that Katara and Sokka have discovered the avatar’s whereabouts, can this group of friends restore balance across the four nations?
Avatar: The Last Airbender is a live action adaptation of the popular animated show of the same name. The beloved cartoon was created by Nickelodeon Animation Studios. It also has a sequel series, The Legend of Korra. The live action adaptation stars Gordon Cormier as Avatar Aang.
Avatar: The Last Airbender is a an action packed remake of the animated series of the same name. Avatar Aang, the last known airbender, returns to life after being frozen for a century. Playing him is Gordon Cormier, a young Canadian actor known for his work in The Stand, a fantasy series based on a novel by Stephen King.
Other cast members of Avatar: The Last Airbender include Kiwawentiio Tarbell, who plays Katara, Ian Ousley, who plays Sokka, Dallas Liu, who plays Zuko, and Daniel Dae Kim, who plays Fire Lord Ozai. Kim rose to prominence playing Jin in the mega hit 2000s series, Lost. James Sie who voiced the fan-favourite character of the cabbage merchant in the animated series, returns for the live-action version.
Where to stream Avatar: The Last Airbender?
Avatar: The Last Airbender will be released exclusively on Netflix and will be available to stream in December 2022.
Production: timeline, news & updates
- September 2018: Netflix announces that it will remake the popular animated series in live-action form. The streaming service says the show will be a "reimagined" version of the original, including untold stories. (Source: The Hollywood Reporter)
- June 2020: Creators of the seires, Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko, were hired as showrunners for the remake. After some time, it became clear to the writers that due to creative differences and what they perceived to be a negative and unsupportive environment, they could no longer continue working with Netflix. (Source: Variety)
- August 2021: Albert Kim officially joins the team as showrunner and executive producer. Kim had reservations about joining the team in the early stages of his deal. He believed the original TV show to be a full, rich story and he wasn't sure it needed to be told. However, the more Kim worked on the story, the more his excitement grew and he wanted to create a live-action version of the popular story, while retaining the authenticity of the characters and the cultural influences. (Source: CNET)
- November 2021: Production begins in Vancouver, Canada and is expected to continue through May 2022. (Source: CNET)
- December 17, 2021: The first trailer for the series can be seen after the end credits of The Witcher season 2 finale. (Source: Polygon)
- June 28, 2022: Filming for the first season of the live-action Avatar: The Last Airbender was officially confirmed to be completed by series star Gordon Cormier. (Source: Collider)
- July 27, 2022: Beloved character, 'the cabbage merchant', is confirmed to feature in the live-action show. He will be played by the original voice actor for the part from the animated series, James Sie. (Source: Collider)
Videos: Trailers, Teasers, Featurettes
Avatar: The Last Airbender - watch online: streaming, buy or rent
Avatar: The Last Airbender will be available to stream on Netflix. The release date is yet to be announced, but you can stay updated by tracking this TV show on JustWatch.