The Menu streaming: where to watch online?
Currently you are able to watch "The Menu" streaming on Max, Max Amazon Channel, DIRECTV. It is also possible to buy "The Menu" on Apple TV, Amazon Video, Google Play Movies, YouTube, Vudu, Microsoft Store, Redbox, DIRECTV, AMC on Demand as download or rent it on Apple TV, Amazon Video, Google Play Movies, YouTube, Vudu, Microsoft Store, Redbox, DIRECTV, Spectrum On Demand online.
Hawthorne is the epitome of high-class fine dining and exclusivity. The restaurant sits on an isolated coastal island and produces food that is also conceptual art. The chef at the head of Hawthorne is Slowik, whose staff are in obedient revelry of his genius. Margot and Tyler are a young couple who travel to the Hawthorne in order to experience something out of the ordinary. For Tyler, Hawthorne is a moving meditation on culinary culture but Margot is less enthused. As the evening unfolds, the experience becomes increasingly sinister and what starts as experimental cuisine takes on terrifying consequences for the dinner guests.
What to know
The Menu is a dark comedy horror movie directed by Mark Mylod. Mylod is best known as the executive producer and director of the hit television series Succession. The Menu is his first foray into feature filmm making. Adam McKay and Betsy Koch produce the picture through their production company Hyperobject Industries.
Aside from producing, Adam McKay is an acclaimed director and screenwriter whose works include Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy, The Big Short, and Don't Look Up. Peter Deming, known for his work with David Lynch, is The Menu's cinematographer while multi-instrumentalist Colin Stetson sets the mood with an unsettling score.
The Menu stars academy-award nominee Ralph Fiennes in the role of the unnerving Chef Slowik. Nicholas Hoult and Anya Taylor-Joy play the young couple Tyler and Margot. Hoult is known for his work in About a Boy, Skins, and X-Men: First Class. Anya Taylor-Joy first rose to prominence in her debut film, The Witch. She also starred in the highly popular Netflix series, The Queen's Gambit.
The expanded cast includes Hong Chau, Janet McTeer, John Leguizamo and Judith Light. The Menu was released in cinemas on November 18, 2022.
Production: Timeline, news & updates
- April 9, 2019: The Menu is first announced as a project to be directed by Alexander Payne and starring Emma Stone and Ralph Fiennes. (Source: Deadline)
- May 28, 2020: After it was confirmed that both Alexander Payne and Emma Stone had to leave the project, film producer Adam McKay signed on to produce. McKay brought with him Mark Mylod to direct the film. (Source: Variety)
- June 7, 2021: The Menu regained its star power with Ralph Fiennes signing back on for the project and the role left open by Emma Stone being taken up by Anya Taylor-Joy.(Source: Deadline)
- July 29, 2021: Nicholas Hoult signed on in a lead role opposite Anya Taylor-Joy in The Menu. (Source: Deadline)
- October 5, 2021: The Menu added into its expanded cast Paul Adelstein and Rob Yang amongst others as filming began in Savannah, GA. (Source: Deadline)
- April 19, 2022: The Menu gets its release date for cinemas that is confirmed to be November 18, 2022. (Source: Deadline)
- June 1, 2022: Searchlight Pictures released the first trailer for the film showing the expanded cast, the location of Hawthorne and teasing some of the films shocking twists and turns. (Source: YouTube)
- August 10, 2022: The first full trailer for the film is released online. The clip features a couple played by Anya Taylor-Joy and Nicholas Hoult who travel to an island to experience a painstakingly planned dinner.(Source: Deadline)
- September 14, 2022: A new poster for the movie is released showing an imposing Ralph Fiennes looking down on the two leads played by Nicholas Hoult and Anya Taylor-Joy. The tagline reads 'Painstakingly prepared. Brilliantly executed.'(Source: Deadline)
- November 18, 2022: The Menu is released in cinemas.(Source: Deadline)
Videos: Trailers, Teasers, Featurettes
Justwatch daily streaming charts