National Treasure: Edge of History(2022)
December 14, 2022
10 weeks left
Jess Valenzuela is unearthing the past and bringing to light the lost story of her family. Traveling with her friends across the country, she is seeking a missing treasure; the one of her father's stories. Jess and company must find the map and solve the puzzle clue by mysterious clue. Following close behind is the callous black market dealer Billie Pearce, desperate to turn antiquities into cold hard cash. Between ancient artifacts lost to time, riddles written in bygone codes, and the precious prize of a long-held mystery solved at last, National Treasure returns, introducing a new hero with a new history.
What to know
National Treasure: Edge of History is an upcoming mystery adventure television series based on the National Treasure film franchise. The show is executive produced by Jerry Bruckheimer and directed by acclaimed filmmaker Mira Nair. The series is set to deal with the big topics of identity and patriotism from the perspective of its Latina lead Jess Valenzuela, portrayed by Lisette Alexis. Playing the antagonist, Billie Pearce, is a long-time Hollywood darling: Catherine Zeta-Jones. Reprising his role from the films as the tech-specialist Riley Poole is Justin Bartha. Harvey Keitel takes the role of Agent Peter Sadusky again making his return from the movies to the television series as well. Keeping continuity from the films, writers Cormac and Marianne Wibberly are penning the screenplay for the television series.
Where to stream
National Treasure: Edge of History will be released on Disney+. The confirmed release date for the television series is however still a mystery.
Production: Timeline, news & updates
- May 7, 2020: Executive producer Jerry Bruckheimer confirmed that a National Treasure television series was in the works at Disney+ and that it would include a younger cast.(Source: Collider)
- March 24, 2021: The first season of the National Treasure television series was given the green light by Disney+ for ten episodes. The show is confirmed to be directed by acclaimed filmmaker Mira Nair. (Source: Deadline)
- October 28, 2021: Lisette Alexis is confirmed to be playing the lead role of Jess Valenzuela, a young Latina woman in search of a historical family relic. (Source: Deadline)
- January 12, 2022: A selection of new cast members are confirmed for the mystery adventure including; Lyndon Smith, Zuri Reed, Jake Austin Walker, Antonio Cipriano, and Jordan Rodrigues. (Source: Deadline)
- February 7, 2022: Signing on to portray the main villain of the show, Catherine Zeta-Jones is confirmed to be playing opposite Lisette Alexis and portraying Billie Pearce; a black market antiquities dealer. (Source: Deadline)
- April 11, 2022: Justin Bartha, known for his role in the previous National Treasure films, is confirmed to have joined the cast for the TV show returning to his character Riley Poole. (Source: Deadline)
- July 6, 2022: The official title of the series is confirmed ahead of San Diego Comic-Con; National Treasure: Edge of History (Source: Deadline)
- July 22, 2022: A short video announcement confirmed the arrival of the new lead played by Lisette Alexis. Alongside the announcement video is the release of a featurette that gives a behind-the-scenes look at the upcoming mysteries and introduces some of the new characters to the franchise. (Source: YouTube)
- September 10, 2022 : A trailer for the series is released online. The clip begins with the words, "This holds a treasure of utmost importance. I thought about destroying it a billion times to prevent it from falling into the wrong hands."(Source: Deadline)
National Treasure: Edge of History - watch online: streaming, buy or rent
National Treasure: Edge of History will be available to stream on Disney Plus from December 14, 2022.